Sunday, February 8, 2009

No, no. It's not soccer: it's CALCIO/



So, we didn't get going as early as we wanted to, but it turned out ok. Finding our way to the soccer...I mean calcio game, turned out to be really easy. At the internet cafe, Marla and I looked up the bus schedule and found a "Stadium route" that left from the nearby station. We stopped at a shop near the post office and got two bus tickets to get to the stadium and back.

First, let me say that I don't really like soccer, but I just kind of figured it was one of those experiences I had to have while in Italy. When in Rome, ya know. But the excitement around the game was intense! As we walked around town in the morning before the game, people saw our scarves and kept saying "Fiorentina! Forza Fiorentina!" Apparently all you need is a local team scarf to blend in because Julia and I got asked twice for directions and information about the game.

Which, by the way, reminds me that apparently I need to stop looking so Italian, because in the last 3 days, I've been stopped and asked for directions in Italian 5-6 times. Which wouldn't be a big deal, I could easily tell them, in Italian even, that I don't undestand, I don't know, or I'm American, but in the moment, I just get so flustered that I forget how to say anything! Oh well. If I can't learn to deal with it, I'll just have Mom and Dad bring me a bunch of t-shirts and hoodies. Haha.

Because we were unsure of where we were going, when the bus left, etc. we decided to head to the bus station early. The game didn't start until 3, but we got to the bus station around 1:15. As we walked up, the number 52 bus to the stadium pulled in. We were happy that it had been so easy to find the right bus and everything, but unfortunately, this put us at the stadium an hour and a half early.



We learned a few things about Italy from this excursion: First, that Italians don't show up early for things. We got to the stadium and it was like a ghost town except for the stadium workers, security guards, and police officers who were getting everything ready. Second, that Italians don't really believe in sports bars. We walked the entire strip around the stadium and could not find one pub/bar/local hangout where people went to have a drink or hang out before the game. They just don't exist. Oh well. So, we found a little cafe to hang out in before the game, we sat there for about an hour. At some point during that hour, EVERYONE showed up for the game. One minute the street had been empty, the next we looked out, and there was a mob of Fiorentina fans making their way down the street. Apparently we had chosen our Fiorentina gear wisely in buying scarves because that's what EVERYONE was wearing. (Even a group of little old ladies who looked like they were on their way home from church, not going to the game, were wearing a team scarf!)

As it turned out, we were on the completely wrong side of the stadium. We made our way to our gate and were met by some security guards. They looked through our bags. Shannon had to hang her umbrella on a tree outside the stadium. I guess it would make a good weapon in the event that a riot broke out. Haha!



We found our section, but rows and seats weren't really numbered, so we just sat down near the front. Apparently, the seats towards the top are better. Hmmmm...oh well. The stadium was PACKED. The horseshoe was pretty much a big purple and red blur. People were waving flags, scarves, cheering, and singing the team songs or whatever, getting pumped for the game. (Of course, we didn't know the songs or even understand them. I kept wondering if there was a handout or pamphlet or something lol!)



The game was really fun! Although, I had no idea what was going on most of the time. Still, the atmosphere was entertaining: it was intense, chaotic, electric, and most of all LOUD. Everyone gets so into the game! We found that if you just made loud angry noises when everyone else did, you fit in pretty well. (Another group of American students sitting near us just kept yelling the names of various pastas whenever the crowd got worked up. Haha!)



Fiorentina beat Lazio by one goal (scored at the 44 minute mark of the second half, aka practically the end of the game).And when the home team made the only goal of the game, the stadium almost literally exploded. I tried taking video of the moment, but it doesn't even begin to capture the craziness that was going on!



After watching a soccer game, there are a few things I have to admit: one- professional soccer players are HOT. two- there is some crazt athletic ability involved in soccer, the footwork, the endurance, CRAZY. three- soccer players are pretty overdramatic. I mean, they fell down and cried more than most of the girls on my HS bball team. Ridiculous. lol.

I still won't say that I like soccer, but it was definitely a cool experience. And I wouldn't mind attending another game sometime in the next few months. Preferably when it's a little warmer. We were mostly thankful that Fiorentina scored and won the game because that meant the game was over (I think we all might have cried if the game went into overtime!) After the game, we hopped on the bus back towards home. We went back to the apartment and quickly changed into our warm clothes, made dinner and settled in to watch a movie. The game had been fun, but we were all exhausted! We all turned in fairly early for a good night's sleep before going back to classes on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment